Posted in Specialists

Book Week

Last week was Book Week. We had an visit us. He talked to us about writing stories. It was amazing.

We have also been reading the shortlisted books for information books. We read six books and had to choose which one we liked the most. Make Believe was the most popular in Year 5. The Happiness Box and Make Believe were the winners for the Honour Roll and the overall winner was Sorry Day.

I think that some important features for a information book are:

• Realistic pictures

Realistic pictures can include photos, realistic watercolours or realistic drawings.

• Information sources

We need to know where the information is from so we know that it is a reliable source. If we don’t then we might not believe the information or believe the wrong information.

• A clear layout

We have to be able to understand the information otherwise we might not be getting the right information. It might also have too much information. You need to spread out the information.

My favourite book was Sorry Day because it had

• Amazing and realistic watercolours

The watercolours almost looked like photos.

• Flicked between past and present

Every second page was the past, when the children were getting stolen. Every other page was the present, when Kevin Rudd was saying sorry.

• Story and then factual

The book started with a story about a girl and her Mum. After the story ended it had lots of information.

• Extended page

One page from the book extended to be three pages that went from the past, when the children were stolen, to the present, when Kevin Rudd apologised, to the future, when hopefully Aboriginals will be respected even more.

What was your favourite part of Book Week? Why?

7 thoughts on “Book Week

1. Hey Charlay,
    I love how you took the time to comment on everyone’s blogs!
    I loved all of Book Week, but I loved dress up day the most. Me and Lucas were the dish and the spoon, which we decided last minute! I love books and am a book 🐛.
    What is your favourite series?
    From Joanni

2. Hi Charlie. That was a great blog post. I really liked how you mentioned what qualities you like in a book. My favourite part of book week was probably a tie between dressing up and meeting Oliver because I liked dressing up as a character and because I really enjoyed all the tips Oliver gave us to improve our writing.

3. Hi Charlie,
    I really like all the detail you put into what makes a good information book. I also liked Sorry Day but my favourite book was Make Believe.
    From Flynn

4. Hi Charlie,
    I really liked your post about what you think a good information book needs. You have put a lot of detail into your writing and have made it very fun to read.
    My favourite part of book week was dressing up as a character because you got to see and discover what the other students dressed up as.
    What genre do you like reading most?
    Annabel

5. Hi, Charlie!
    My favourite part of book week was probably getting to dress up. I dressed up as Percy Jackson! I even had the Percy Jackson symbol on the back, and the camp half blood symbol on the front!
    -Cam

6. Hi Charlie ,
    My favourite book was M.C. because is had such good words and really good pictures I also liked it because of the author. What was your favourite book this month?